Transcription School - How I Got Started

Early last year, my mom suggested to me that I try doing transcription. At the time I had no idea what that was. So, I looked into it. All it seemed to be was typing what you hear. So that's what subtitles are! Seems easy enough. I start looking into courses and classes to become certified in this field, and I stumble upon Transcribe Anywhere. It looked very professional and reliable, and the completion time was between three and five months. Sweet! I go in and I go through the preview course that tells you what you're getting into. 

I see that it's more difficult than I originally thought. The preview course clearly laid out that transcription is not just sitting in bed or on your couch bundled up with a laptop and typing things. You need a proper workspace, equipment, training, and be proficient in grammar. Grammar? I stopped when I saw that I needed to be, not just adequate, but a master at grammar. I've never been very good with grammar and punctuation. Spelling? Sure. But not that. 

Although grammar wasn't my strong suit, I decided that I could learn. I'll work hard and become a master at what I was not naturally good at. I decide to go through with the full set of coursed and get started on getting a certification in transcription. Then I see the price: $500.00. I couldn't afford that. My now husband, however, didn't want that to be the reason I didn't go through with this class. He paid for my classes in full. This course turned out to be very thorough and very good at training you to be a proficient transcriptionist. It was hard work. Some tears were definitely shed over a couple of tests that I struggled with, but I stuck with it. 

It ended up taking me about a year rather than three to five months, but that was more because of some health problems I had rather than it being too difficult. It was a very good course, and I highly recommend it if you are interested in transcription too. It is worth the money, in my opinion. I got lucky in having someone pay for me, however, after taking all of the classes, I see it really is worth the money. If you want to check out Transcribe Anywhere and see the preview course as well and what they have to offer, here is the link: Transcribe Anywhere - Online Transcription Training Courses

As I said, my health was the primary reason I became a transcriptionist. If you would like to hear more about that journey, you can read about it in my other blog: UC Journey (jamiehendricksuc.blogspot.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My New Business

Working from Home: How to Create a Productive Workspace

From Audio to Text: The Transcription Process