From Audio to Text: The Transcription Process

 When I started learning to transcribe, I thought it would be very easy. In some ways, it is. But there were also some very challenging aspects of transcription. My biggest struggle while learning was mastering grammar and punctuation. Grammar has never been my strong suit, but I had to master it to become a transcriptionist! So, I studied hard and worked through it. Besides having to have a strong grasp of the English language and all of its intricate grammar rules, the transcribing process is actually quite simple. 

When I get an audio file, I download it into my "dictation files" folder then upload it to Express Scribe. Express Scribe is a transcription software that you can download to your laptop or computer to make transcribing easier. Through this software, you can plug a pedal into your laptop and use it to easily pause, play, fast forward, or rewind the audio. To learn more about Express Scribe, click here: Express Scribe Transcription Software

After I upload it to the Express Scribe software, I open up a Word Document and start typing what I hear. There are a few different formats in which you can go about typing your transcript:

  1. Simple
The simple format is primarily used for when there is only one speaker. When typing in any format, it's important to break up the typing into paragraphs. I generally make sure there's at least five sentences to a paragraph. 

      2. Hanging Indent

This format is used for two or more speakers. This helps organize the names of the speakers. In this format, the name of the speaker is all the way to the left with a colon in front of the name, then you hit tab and begin typing. 

     3. Time Code Master

In this format, you put the amount of time that has gone by in the audio all the way to the left, the name of the speaker, and then what is being said. Generally, I put a time stamp in every 20 seconds or as close to 20 seconds as I can get. 

Once I have chosen the appropriate format for that particular dictation file, I type in whatever verbatim my client prefers. There are two types: strict verbatim and standard verbatim. Strict verbatim is when you type everything you hear. This is including all uh's, um's, and stutters. Basically, every non-essential utterance. This type of verbatim can be particularly painful to type if the speaker stutters a lot. Standard verbatim is when you omit all stutters or non-essential words. You clean it up a bit for the client. 

I would say that the other thing I find challenging about transcription is the fact that you have to type everything exactly as you hear it. Sometimes, if the person has an accent or the quality of the audio is poor, it can be particularly difficult to type accurately. I have had to rewind audio a dozen times to listen again and again to one word and it ends up sounding like gibberish and I can't tell at all what is being said. In this case, I will put in a [indiscernible] and move on. I have heard that being able to discern what is being said may just take practice. 

After I finish typing the audio, I go back to the beginning and proofread my typing while re-listening to the audio again on double speed to make the process a little faster. After I proofread to audio, I go back and proofread again without audio. Then the transcript is done! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My New Business

Working from Home: How to Create a Productive Workspace